Thursday, September 10, 2009

Introductions are in order ... Part 1

I've been working on my first game review for a while and it's not quite ready yet. Not as I'd like it to be.

So, I thought I'd take this time to introduce myself and give a little of my gaming history to maybe give a better idea of what type of gamer I am.

First for this post, my history with video games.

My first video game experience was with the birth of coin arcades ... which shows my age. *cough cough* I remember when Donkey Kong and Asteroids came out in machines. I was NEVER allowed to go there though, because that's where the bad kids hung out.

A few years after that, I got my first system! A shiny ColecoVision in all it's glory, with it's own Donkey Kong! Wow!!! That was around 1984.
I had Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, AdventueQuest, Congo Bongo, the Smurfs and many others ...
My neighbour had an Atari (can't remember which one exactly) so we alternated playing at each other's house. I still can remember how HARD it was to play Donkey Kong and how long it took me to finish only the first stage! But I did it and even discovered the secret ladder glitch all by myself. That was quite a thrill! No easy internet for gamers back then!

Then, after a few years of that, I got a second hand Vic-20. I had some games on cassette tape (no disk drives yet). It had an awesome mini-golf game! You had to get this square into that other square, while navigating through the other squares on screen ...


Then, I got my pennies and dimes together and with the help of my dad, I partially financed a Commodore 64!!!! It had 5 1/4 floppy disks (when they ACTUALLY were floppy) and it's powerful multi-channel midi sounds! I would say this to be around 1986 from memory.
Oh, the hours I spent playing such classics as Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Labyrinth, Jumpman, Paperboy and other fantastic games! That crazy Nurse Edna in MM literally would startle me so much in the kitchen that I would be terrified to go in here. I HATED her!

Here's a video commercial for the C-64!





Well, that was long-winded enough for now. Part 2 will have more exciting console evolution.

And as a special "treat", a complete walkthrough of the Smurfs on the ColecoVision. I kicked butt at the game. But how crazy is it that the entire game can be played through a Youtube video in a couple of minutes. That is seriously the WHOLE game.

2 comments:

Blake said...

So If I got a Commodore 64, I can take it on a water slide? WOW!!, I can't even do that with today's hardware.

SMURFS
Who ever thought that a game strategy would be, don't forget to duck and do a double jump.

That's like Mario running over to the blocks and jumping and hitting a block. CONGRATULATIONS!!!, you jumped! please play again!

Great Post Ian!

rowen26 said...

Well, in a world of fun and fantasy, the C-64 ever changes me!
Are you keeping up with the Commodore?

FIND US ON THE PLAYSTATION NETWORK