Friday, July 30, 2010

Video Game Terms

I must admit that I am still learning video game terms. My recent trip Edwards 1CC log for SHUMPS, had me question what 1CC stands for. It was here that I first came across the term SHUMPS. New words are added/made up all the time and there's one thing that rains true for most of them. Don't ask what these words mean while playing online with other people. Apparently this is not aloud and will be met with ,"you are a stupid noob, why don't you go play with your mother!"

Well then...I don't want to do that, my mom's games are boring. But to keep this happening from to others, here is a quick list of some of the more popular game terms and their meanings.

Some terms that refer to types of games.
RTS - Real Time Strategies. Some games include Red Alert, Starcraft, Pixel Junk Monsters

FPS - First Person Shooters. Some games include Halo, Killzone, Call of Duty, Battlefield

RPG - Role Playing Game. Some games include Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Phantasy Star

MMO or MMORPG - Massive Multiplayer Online - Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing
Game. Some games include World of Warcraft, World of Heros, Heroes of Newerth

SHUMPS - Shoot em ups. Some games include Gradius, 1942, Axelay

Then there are the ingame terms that people use on other players, mostly online gaming. All of which I had no idea what was being said to me. In fact the first time I was called a noob, it was typed to me in Medal of Honor battlechest teamchat.

Noob/Newb/Newbie - All mean the same thing. Its a first time player to a game. So if you log into Halo for the first time or make a beginners mistake, it won't take long for someone to call you a newb.

Pwned - When another player kills another player, usually in a cool awesome fashion. But this term is thrown around willy nilly (willy nilly- a term I use to express a term that is used thoughtlessly.)


Campers - Some who sits and waits for opponents to come to them. But with the invention of the kill cam it makes it a little less harder for people to stay hidden for long. But frikken camping snipers are the worse.

Spawn killers - Most games have made it so people can't spawn camp anymore. But if you have opposing teams, each has a base. The opponent hides at the other teams base and shoots people has they spawn back into the game. I've played countless games where you spawn, die, spawn, die and I don't know who thinks this is fun?

FF - Not so much a issue now, but it stands for Friendly Fire. So you hear people shouting, watch the FF. I used to think people were cursing me twice. Watch the Fuck Fuck. Didn't make sense then either.

Sharking - I've only seen this on one console online game and mostly on PC. But its basically cheating. A person sets up in the code that his person will look like a dead person to all other players. So it looks like a dead person sliding along the ground, its the cheapest kill you can get. There are a ton of these types online with older PC games.

Leggers/Legging -This term I use to hear alot playing the older Mech Warrior online. Its when you pick the smallest fastest mech class while other pick the big monster mechs. What you do is run around the big mechs staying out of firing range because you are faster- and just shoot their legs. Its annoying has hell but its not cheating.

I'm sure there are other terms out there, but those are the ones that I hear the most. I still don't know what 1CC stands for Edwards SHUMPS, but I will find out soon and report in the comments.

6 comments:

Jaison said...

I don't know what you're talking about "Shmups" is a perfectly cromulant word.

Edward said...

Yeah, shmups!
And just to spice it up a little, if you want to open a real can of worms about shmup terms there's always this very comprehensive thread in the shmups forum: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9665.

* I lol'd at the "watch the FF" hahaha

Blake said...

I've been schooled in SHUMPS. 1CC stands for 1 credit clear on normal or harder mode.

Thanks for clearing that up. Today I can say I am a little smarter. Things are looking up!

Ron said...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1921081

Big D said...

This helpful guide to gaming lingo has embiggened us all!

Kelli said...

I didn't know there were so many different terms for gaming. There should be a class for this, lol

FIND US ON THE PLAYSTATION NETWORK